14 April 2017

Skincare Empties! Mid-April Edition

Good evening, friends!

I have recently become quite addicted to intensifying my skincare routine. I have always had quite clear skin, without many issues or problem areas. My goal is to retain moisture, maintain the good skin I already have, and prevent signs of aging. My favourite community and resource for all things skincare, k-beauty, and "Asian skincare routines" is the subreddit /r/AsianBeauty. They have wonderful links for beginners, answering all your questions about products, routines, and the chemistry behind why certain products work for certain skin concerns. That's one of my favourite parts, no one recommends or suggests using a product without letting you know why it works. I have learned all sorts of wonderful things about how ingredients and chemical react to bring remedy to skin concerns.

Here are some of my favourite articles, blogs, or resources to get started:

I thought I would keep track of some of the new products I am trying and write small reviews when I empty a product. This past week, I emptied a few samples and one full sized product. 



1. Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment ($79CAD at Sephora.ca for 50g): I do adore this mask treatment. It smells like black licorice to me, it feels very cooling and lovely while it is on the face, and it's easy to rinse off. It makes my face feel clear and clean. But I just can't justify the price. I received a sample from Sephora and I'm happy to have tried it, but it's not something I would purchase myself. I will nab one any time it's available in a gift/value set or as a point perk or other extra sample. I am looking into ordering the Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask as an alternative.

2. Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask ($77CAD at Sephora.ca for 30mL): I didn't notice a damn thing during or after using this. It is a thin, jelly formula that dries like a peeling mask, though it doesn't peel off. It is very expensive for a mask that doesn't really offer anything for brightness or pores like it claims. Easy to pass on, it wasn't like I loved it and lamented the cost.

3. Clinique Liquid Facial Soap ($22CAD at Sephora.ca for 200mL): I actually really liked this. I bought this set and the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel has become my HG. I like lightweight, gel moisturizers a lot, this one is amazing and not too pricey.  I cannot say if this is extremely effective for specific skin types or not, I have quite normal skin that is pretty hardy and can withstand anything. I just felt like it was refreshing and combined with the toner and moisturizer, my skin was in very good condition. I'm not certain of the pH of this cleanser, so that's the only reason I haven't repurchased.

4. The Body Shop Oils of Life ($44CAD at TheBodyShop.ca for 30mL): This was the first facial oil I ever used and it was amazing for my skin. I actually finished this a while ago but held onto the bottle because I use the dropper for other products sometimes and I didn't want to forget the name of it so I could buy it again later. I have tried argan oil since but it made my skin a little irritated, so I'd rather shell out a bit more for this. It absorbs quickly, smells nice, makes my skin soft like velvet and I felt well moisturized. It has a lot of added fragrance ingredients, so I'm not sure how those with more sensitive skin will fare. But my face loved this stuff. I want to get some more ASAP.

5. Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Facial Butter ($50CAD at Sephora.ca for 1.7oz): The second argan oil product I was using that made my skin a little icky and sad. And like I said, I'm pretty resilient. I'm not sure how to explain this feeling, but it was almost like it was too "rich." My skin felt greasy and clogged up in the morning.. I had a super oily nose which never usually happens, and obvious sebaceous filaments. I don't think moisture is usually a problem for me, so when I use too many creams and lotions it's just excessive for my skin. This may be better suited for someone with drier skin.

6. Clinique Clarifying Lotion 3 ($18CAD at Sephora.ca for 200mL): I mentioned most of this already, it worked well for me but it might not be good for all skin types. It contains menthol and baking soda.. kind of odd and could be irritating for more sensitive skin types. I'm going to use other BHAs but this was okay for the small sample size and it seemed to be effective combined with the other Clinique products.

Overall, I think the only item I will be purchasing will be TBS's Oils of Life.

I am waiting for some new products in the mail and I'm working on finishing up a few more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment